Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Annexation of Hawaii

A Christian Queen Addresses the People of the United States

by Frank Golubski

       A few years back, my wife read the 2006 book, Overthrow: America’s Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq, by Stephen Kinzer.(1)  What an eye-opener!  Kinzer's chapter on our "annexation" of Hawaii was particularly interesting.  Not only did the Hawaiian royal palace have electricity and indoor plumbing before the White House (as Mr. Bradley pointed out),(2) but Queen Liliuokalani was a Christian woman who graciously appealed to Jehovah to judge the cause of her people. She wrote the following on June 17, 1897:

I, Liliuokalani of Hawaii, by the will of God named heir apparent on the tenth day of April, A.D. 1877, and by the grace of God Queen of the Hawaiian Islands on the seventeenth day of January, A.D. 1893, do hereby protest against the ratification of a certain treaty, which, so I am informed, has been signed at Washington by Messrs. Hatch, Thurston, and Kinney, purporting to cede those Islands to the territory and dominion of the United States. I declare such a treaty to be an act of wrong toward the native and part-native people of Hawaii, an invasion of the rights of the ruling chiefs, in violation of international rights both toward my people and toward friendly nations with whom they have made treaties, the perpetuation of the fraud whereby the constitutional government was overthrown, and, finally, an act of gross injustice to me.
Therefore I, Liliuokalani of Hawaii, do hereby call upon the President of that nation, to whom alone I yielded my property and my authority, to withdraw said treaty (ceding said Islands) from further consideration. I ask the honorable Senate of the United States to decline to ratify said treaty, and I implore the people of this great and good nation, from whom my ancestors learned the Christian religion, to sustain their representatives in such acts of justice and equity as may be in accord with the principles of their fathers, and to the Almighty Ruler of the universe, to him who judgeth righteously, I commit my cause.(3)

       And here in the closing paragraphs from her 1898 book, Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen, Liliuokalani warns what happens when the powerful take what does not belong to them:

Oh, honest Americans, as Christians hear me for my down-trodden people! Their form of government is as dear to them as yours is precious to you. Quite as warmly as you love your country, so they love theirs. With all your goodly possessions, covering a territory so immense that there yet remains parts unexplored, possessing islands that, although near at hand, had to be neutral ground in time of war, do not covet the little vineyard of Naboth’s, so far from your shores, lest the punishment of Ahab fall upon you, if not in your day, in that of your children, for “be not deceived, God is not mocked.”  The people to whom your fathers told of the living God, and taught to call “Father,” and whom the sons now seek to despoil and destroy, are crying aloud to Him in their time of trouble; and He will keep His promise, and will listen to the voices of His Hawaiian children lamenting for their homes.
It is for them that I would give the last drop of my blood; it is for them that I would spend, nay, am spending, everything belonging to me.
Will it be in vain? It is for the American people and their representatives in Congress to answer these questions. As they deal with me and my people, kindly, generously, and justly, so may the Great Ruler of all nations deal with the grand and glorious nation of the United States of America.(4)

*       *       *

Sources:

(1) Stephen Kinzer. Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq.  Times Books, 2006.

(2) James Bradley, author of  The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War (Little, Brown,  2010), interviewed on Future Quake radio. http://www.futurequake.com/Audio/FQShow234.mp3

(3) http://www.hawaiiankingdom.org/protest_1897_queen.shtml


*       *       *

Frank Golubski is a veteran of the US Air Force.  He and his wife live in Spokane, Washington.   Comments are welcome, below.  Also, visit him at his websites,  Rabbit Trails and Just Warriors ~ Just Wars.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Frank, for making this available to Sycamore Three.

    This is pretty embarrassing, isn't it, folks. Our Christian ancestors in the US were not worthy of the trust and good will that she felt toward them or the American nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is turning out to be what I hoped it would be.

    And to think I miss cable TV for this!

    ReplyDelete