Friday, July 29, 2011

Simple Gifts

       A couple of days ago I was reading a pocket version of Kahlil Gibran's old classic, The Prophet.  I picked it up a few months ago in the used-book section of a thrift store -- where I've been finding lots of great treasures for a long time.

       If you are familiar with Gibran, you know he's good.  I really liked his chapter on 'The Teacher,' which you can link to here.

       But that's not why I'm writing this.

       Whenever I read Gibran, I think of a good young lady friend I had in college days, who gave me my first copy of The Prophet -- that copy is now long since lent out to somebody, I think; or maybe I just misplaced it.  In my recollection it was not a birthday or Christmas present, nor did it signify anything romantic:  she just thought I would like it.  And I surely did.  If and when you read this, Jennifer -- thank you very much.

       A couple of years later, same college, another young lady, this time in a college youth group,  played a record for us which had a beautiful song that she liked.  She had just gotten the album that week, and it was a gift from a friend of hers (and mine) who had moved to a distant state.  Once again, it was for no special occasion -- which made it very special.

      It hit me -- I finally was beginning to get it.  Not birthday, not Christmas, not even romance.  Just real friends thinking about real friends.  Thank you, Steve, for that wonderful thoughtfulness.  I have never forgotten it, and I learned a lot.

       If you would like to hear that song, you can link to it right now.

*       *       *

Comments always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment