Thursday, September 5, 2013

Syria On-Going: Three Similar Perspectives

     I hesitate to make this further post about Syria, because I do not want this site to become merely political comment and counter-comment.  Whatever the Great Conversation may be, and whatever our small part in it, it must remain, in my view, something more and better than merely "current events," or even a discussion of war and my own anti-war views; and I have already posted my thoughts on Syria (here and here.)  That is to say, this "further post" may be hardly more than self-distraction on my part.

    I am indeed working on some other posts, with other themes, that I am not ready to publish, delayed partly because the considerable current reportage about the conflict in Syria, and the conflict over Syria, are much in the news -- as they should be, in my way of thinking -- and finally raising fresh lines of questioning that are long overdue.  So I am readily admitting to some self-distraction here.

     I am here posting several recent links that I have run across, or that have been sent to me by much respected friends.  I recommend them to your reading and consideration.

     "No Syrian War To Save Obama's Face!" by Patrick Buchanan.  Extremely current (September, 2013), and providing interesting information about the past use of poison gas in previous wars.  I often agree with Pat Buchanan on matters concerning foreign policy (though not necessarily on matters domestic or partisan), and this is one of those times.

     "Syria And Byzantine Strategy," by Robert Kaplan.  Extremely current (September, 2013), and with an important (because rare) look at certain successful long-ago political strategies in that part of the world.

     "Those Old Colonial Lusts," by Eric Margolis.  This was written in June, 2013, and might seem dated; but since it provides much historical background that we have either never known, or have just forgotten, it remains quite timely.

     Each of the writers of the links above is a man having long political engagement, and much direct real-world experience.  Their thinking is much better informed than we can usually expect from bright youthful journalists who read the predigested printouts from the press-wires to us, or retired old generals who comment authoritatively from power-point scripts handed out by the Pentagon.

     Each of these essays can help us rise above the sound-bite-level, tomorrow-morning, either/or-snap-decision mentality that seems to be just about all that the U.S. main-stream-media affords.

*       *       *

Comments are always welcome.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment